How to find your unique brand essence
In my last blog, I introduced you to the four step process of Brand Building and we looked at getting some clarity. How did you go? Today we’re moving into the next phase, FINDING YOUR BRAND ESSENCE.
As a brand consultant, my job is to translate visions into reality… and I really love getting into the minds of customers and digging deep until we do just that. I know that building a brand is not always easy, that’s why I’m focused on giving you real, tangible advice and information based on my 25 years working with people who want to be seen and heard. If you want to get your stuff out into the world, then there’s one thing you’re gonna need (amongst many other things…) and that’s something unique to help you stand out from the crowd!
There’s a lot of elements that need to come together to make a brand work, visually and effectively. Creating your brand essence is a core element in giving your brand heart
Let’s recap the 4 step process…
1. CLARITY – Get clear on what you do, who for and what makes you different – READ MORE
2. STRATEGY – Find a Unique Brand Essence that will set you apart
3. CREATION – Design and develop your visual identity and communication
4. DELIVERY – Connect with your audience and deliver your brand consistently every day
Developing your Brand Essence can be one of the most challenging aspects of brand building and many people put it off, or don’t even try to get the heart of what they’re offering. This leads to potentially a few problems; here’s just a few I don’t want you to experience!
- Unfocused attention within your business. If you’re not sure of what is at the driving force of what you’re offering, you can easily get distracted by the latest shiny new offering that you think you should create rather than focussing on what you’re business is known for.
- Delivering un-cohesive or confusing messages. Without a clearly defined core, your communications run the risk of being scattered and fluffy.
- You just won’t get known for what you’re really good at. You might get overlooked in the crowds because you just don’t stand out – stand for something that people can engage with
So if you’re keen to learn more let’s explore. What is Brand Essence and how do you find it?
Your essence is what sets you apart from the multitude of other people who offer, well, pretty much the same thing you do. On the surface, it’s a few words that sum up your brand. But these few words, if created well, will drive every part of your business and give you a deeper meaning and drive behind your business, one that your customers will connect and engage with and one you can deliver with excitement and pride. Often crafted into a tagline, sometimes just an underlying theme that is filtered through your business through multiple touch points, it will reflect what you stand for and what you do that’s different. It’s the reason why your customers will choose you, over your competitors. It’s the reason they will keep coming back and the reason why your brand will stand out. It’s also, if developed correctly, the reason why you will love your brand because it will be built around what you do best, so it will be easy to deliver each and every time.
If you’re not connecting with your audience, or are attracting the wrong kind of customers; that don’t value you or what you do… then let’s get to the heart of your brand by looking at how to define your brand essence.
BRANDING IS ALL ABOUT GETTING YOUR VOICE SEEN AND HEARD…by the right people. But how do you get your voice out there when there are so many voices all demanding to be heard?
• By being YOU!
• By being really clear on who you are, what you stand for
• By distilling that information into a word or a few words that engages your customers and answers their core desire or need, that also differentiates you from your competitors
• By exploring how what you offer, makes your customers feel.
To do that, you need to go deeper into the heart of your brand.
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou
How does your brand make your customers feel?
How to identify your ‘Brand Essence’
It’s not an overnight job, but it is a very rewarding one. Here’s how you do it
- The first step is to get real clarity on what you do, why you do it who you do it for, what they want and what makes you different. You can read more about that HERE
- Take the time to review all the elements and using this diagram; filter out the essence of your brand.
The answer lies in the sweet spot between what you do best, what your customers most value and where you can really shine. It must be something that is real and relevant to your customer, that connects with the very core of what your customers want AND be something that you do differently, easily, enjoyably and authentically and ‘ownable’ by you.
That holds the secret to your essence.
Once you define it, it filters out into everything you do, naturally, unforced.
As a promise you can deliver easily and enjoyably.
As real value that is tangible to your customers
It becomes what you are remembered for and why they will choose you.